If you read my blog we might have 1 thing in common an addiction to glass or jewelry and wanting to make enough money to support our habit, right? More than supporting our habit would be even better. Well bear with me and I am going to point you in the right direction. This plan will work for the Jewelry designers/beaders too. It can work for most home based handmade items!
When I first bought my kiln seven years ago I went off half-cocked. I didn’t think about what I would do with the things I made, and then I had buyers remorse. Huge purchase and ton of money in supplies, that was it. Kind of all dressed up and no place to go, if you know what I mean.
After a few years of struggling with Ebay, I put my big ol thinking cap on and devised a plan to broaden my fused glass adventure. I started doing Home Jewelry Parties. Much to my surprise, it worked. Ebay quickly fell by the way side, because the interaction with people was intoxicating and the money was GOOD!
Here are few tips to home party bliss:
1. Make a well planned brochure that outlines your party plan (I am going to make your life easier here; you can use my brochure as a guide as long as you don’t live near me LOL).
2. Have business cards on hand at all times and strategically hand them out. Creepy people do not need your info.
3. Carry a calendar and brochures with you at all times.
4. Put a message on your answering machine that tells people they have reached the right place. Nothing’s worse than calling and not knowing if you reached the right place.
5. Make sure you wear what you make, otherwise what is the point? If you won’t wear it, who will?
6. Put on your seller face and voice in public. In other words smile and be nice. That draws them in to ask about what you are wearing.
7. Don’t over commit yourself. Ya gotta have time to make stock.
8. Present your items well. Put your creations on cards with a logo and contact info.
9. Make available to your customers chains and cords so they can wear their purchase right away or give them as gifts. Easy shopping is the key to great home parties.
10. If the budget allows – advertise. Make postcards and send them out to advertise special sales and shows you will be selling your works from. Add your logo and site info to your car. I can’t tell you how well that works for me.
Your Etsy shop will grow with these parties. Your website makes you accessible to people outside of the parties.
I quit my real world job to do what I love. I am able to live off of it and support that glass addiction I have. Life is good!
Good luck in your new adventure! Hope this helps!
Click here If you would to see copy of my Home Jewelry Brochure and use it as a guide to make your own. I would love to know your thoughts and would love to share any other ideas you have as a party giver. This plan has worked wonders for my business. home-jewelry-part-new.pdf